Hair removal is common among athletes, especially in pole dancing, gymnastics, swimming, and other sports. Both men and women have been going through hair removal procedures…
Because its more Aerodynamic and doesn’t get in the way to hinder performance, and in this case for pole dancers, more hair you have the more you likely sweat, the more you slip and slide all of the pole without good grip.
We’ll be discussing here the different methods available for removing your body hair. Choose among them which one suits your preference and budget.
But before that, let’s discuss something important which is the advantages and disadvantages of removing your body hair.
Why remove your body hair?
It’s not really necessary to remove your body hair but it has its benefits. Take a look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of removing your body hair.
Benefits of having your hair removed:
- You’ll feel more confident to show off your legs and armpits.
- Your grip on the pole significantly improves.
- You won’t have any issues with hair and sweat, less friction on the pole.
- You won’t be self-conscious that your instructor may feel off upon seeing unshaved hair on your armpits, legs, or other parts of your body.
- You’ll gain more confidence to wear anything you want.
Disadvantages of removing body hair:
- Hair removal procedures may cause skin irritations.
- Newly shaved areas may become sensitive to touch.
- Grip aids and other products may irritate the skin with freshly-plucked hair.
Temporary Hair Removal Procedures
There are many ways to remove your body hair. Here are the most popular options among men and women athletes.
This is the usual option that people go for. Shaving removes the hair strands on the surface level of the skin. The cut hair will regrow within 24 to 72 hours so you may need to shave again after this period has elapsed.
Shaving is easy to do but a simple mistake can cause cuts or skin irritation. Here’s a short guide on how to shave your legs properly. You can also apply this procedure on any other part of your body you wish to shave.
1) Exfoliate your skin
It’s best to do this while you’re in the shower. You can use a loofah, a bristled brush, or an exfoliating scrub to thoroughly remove dirt on the skin surface.
2) Moisturize your skin
Lather with unscented moisturizer to make your skin smooth and soft. After this, completely rinse it off with water.
3) Put shaving cream
Apply shaving cream on the area you want to shave. It will be painful to scrape your bare skin without any moisturizer on it. Hair conditioners are a good alternative if you don’t have any shaving cream.
4) Get a sharp razor
It’d be best to use razors with 4-5 blades in it for a nice, clean shave. Single-use razors are inefficient since you have to do several passes to get a smooth finish.
5) Start shaving
Shave your legs by doing a downward motion first before doing it in an upward direction.
Don’t shave your skin too often. Give it time to rest and recover from the shaving procedure. Also, use a razor that has an ergonomic design to make sure it won’t slip while you’re shaving.
Advantages of shaving
- The procedure doesn’t take hours to finish.
- It’s easy to do. You can do it yourself without any assistance.
- Razors and shaving creams are cheap.
Disadvantages of shaving
- You may cut yourself, especially when shaving your knees and ankles.
- Shaving only removes the hair on the surface but not the hair follicles. This means you have to shave often because the hair will regrow after only a few days.
- Razor blades are disposable, meaning you have to buy new ones once they become dull.
- Shaved hair grows into a prickly stubble after a few hours.
- Shaving may cause irritation to people with sensitive skin.
Here are shaving creams and electric razors you can use for removing body hair:
Philips Satin Shave
- Use wet or dry
- Safe shaving system protects your...
- Protective cap protects the shaving...
- Cleaning brush included
- Philips electric shaver is...
Panasonic ES2207P Ladies Electric Shaver
- Sharp Shaving Blades: Panasonic...
- Flexible Pivoting Heads Electric...
- Wet/Dry Shaving Convenience:...
- Hypoallergenic Stainless Steel...
- Cleans in Seconds: 100percentage...
Skintimate Skin Therapy Moisturizing Shave Cream for Women
- MOISTURE-RICH Lotionized gel...
- FOAMS into a rich creamy lather and...
- UNBEATABLE razor protection for a...
Bare Intimate Shave Lotion for Women
- DONNA KARAN Cashmere Mist Body...
- Refillable Tubes can be kept and...
- Cashmere Mist is Inspired by the...
- "Refillable" does *not* mean they...
- THE BODY CLEANSING LOTION: Not only...
Coochy Rash-Free Water-Based Shaving Cream with Moisturizer
- Coochy Rash Free Frosted Cake Shave...
- This creme contains beneficial...
- Water based shave cream and...
- Fortified with Jojoba and Vitamin...
Hair Removal Cream
Hair removal creams contain chemicals that loosen your hair from the follicles until they fall off. The procedure is very simple and can be done in the comfort of your home.
How to apply the cream
Applying the hair removal cream is really easy to do. However, using it the wrong way may result in skin irritation so make sure you follow the steps provided below.
1) Check the ingredients
Make sure the cream doesn’t contain chemical compounds that may cause allergic reactions when you apply it.
2) Clean your body
Before using the cream, make sure you’ve removed any dirt clinging to your skin.
3) Test it first
Before you fully apply the cream, test it first on a small area to know if it will cause any skin irritation. This usually happens when you’re switching from one brand to another.
4) Apply as instructed
If there are no adverse reactions on your skin, you can now use the cream as recommended. Make sure you read the application instructions to determine how much to apply and how long it should stay on your skin before you rinse it off.
5) Rinse with cold water
When finished, use cold water to rinse off the cream. The cold water contributes in closing the pores and washing off any stray hair that still clings to your body. Do not use soap as this will irritate your skin.
If skin rashes appear after completing the procedure, apply some diaper rash cream immediately and rinse off with cold water until the reaction disappears.
Advantages of hair removal creams
- It’s relatively cheap as it’s priced around $20 only.
- You can do the procedure by yourself with little risk of messing things up.
- Hair removal creams are fast-acting. Give it 3 minutes and your hair will be gone!
- It takes slightly longer for the hair to grow back, compared to when you just shave it.
- There’s no risk of cutting yourself since you won’t be using any sharp objects during the procedure.
Disadvantages of hair removal creams
- The cream may have a nasty odor.
- Leaving the cream too long on your skin can result in chemical burns.
- Skin irritation and other reactions may occur if you’re allergic with one of the ingredients of the cream.
- Veet Gel Hair Remover Cream
- Nad’s Sensitive Hair Removal Cream
- Veet Fast Acting Gel Cream Hair Removal for Legs & Body
The epilating procedure uses an electronic gadget called the epilator. This battery-operated device features a set of tweezers that continuously rotate to pick off hairs from their very root.
Modern epilators are widely available in the market and they feature different speed settings. Some are even waterproof like the Braun Silk-‘pil.
To avoid ingrown hairs and other issues from appearing after epilating, make sure you follow the steps provided below.
1) Exfoliate your skin
Use an exfoliating glove together with an exfoliating cream to completely remove dead skin cells.
2) Use the epilator
Hold the epilator at a 90-degree angle against your skin. Move it upward, against the direction of hair growth.
Do not press the epilator down since it doesn’t need additional pressure to do its job. Slide it slowly along your skin and do not rush to prevent injuries and hair ingrown.
Clean the epilator after use with water to remove hair that got stuck on the device.
Advantages of epilating
- They’re affordable.
- You don’t need a professional to do the procedure for you. You can do it yourself at home.
- The blades or attachments on the epilator last longer than those on a razor, which means there’s less waste to dispose of.
- It’s comfortable to use even on soft, sensitive skin.
- Epilators pull the hair from its root for a smoother skin.
Disadvantages of epilating
- Models with different attachments can be costly.
- It can still cause slight pain if it’s your first time using it.
- Ingrown hairs have a higher chance of growing after epilating.
- The procedure can take a slightly longer time than shaving if you’re not yet used to the process.
Braun Silk-‘pil 9 9-579
- The 40% wider epilation head...
- Braun's most innovative MicroGrip...
- Wet and Dry usage in the bath or...
- Comes with 7 extras including a...
- BONUS Braun facial brush removes...
Philips HP6574/50 Cordless Epilator
- Up to 40 minutes Cordless & Wire...
- Built in Opti-light reveals tiny,...
- Travel / Carry pouch included!
- Active hair lifter vibrates and...
- Washable Epilation head can be...
Braun Silk-‘pil 3-3270
- Massaging rollers smoothly glide on...
- 20 tweezers system gently removes...
- Softlift tips - effectively lift...
- Speed personalization - speed 1 -...
Waxing is probably the most popular and most effective hair removal procedure. Many businesses have come out offering professional waxing procedures and these have brought them big bucks.
Here’s our guide for waxing your skin.
1) Visit a professional
For first-timers, it’s best to have your first waxing session done by a professional. You’ll get proper treatment and you can watch how they do it. You can even ask them some questions so you know what to do when you try to do it by yourself.
2) Invest in a waxing kit
Decide if you want to use a solid wax or cold wax strips. Solid wax is good for full waxing procedures while the cold strips are appropriate for maintenance.
3) Exfoliate your skin
Regularly exfoliate your skin to avoid irritation before and after waxing.
Advantages of waxing
- It’s accessible. There are DIY kits available and there are a lot of salons offering professional waxing services.
- Waxing kits are affordable.
- The effect lasts longer compared to other hair removal procedures. It may take 2 to 3 weeks before the hair starts growing back.
Disadvantages of waxing
- Waxing is definitely painful.
- Doing it by yourself will take time.
- It can get expensive once you start seeking salon service instead of doing it by yourself.
- 【Yeelen Brand for beauty and...
- 【Only 8 minutes melting time...
- 【Safety in use with ABS...
- 【Suitable for most wax...
- 【4 different flavours wax...
- Effective and Safe：You can remove...
- Home Waxing System：Our highly...
- Simple and Convenient...
- Easy to Clean: After use, pour some...
- Use ABS Material: ABS is a kind of...
Permanent Hair Removal Procedures
All of the methods we’ve discussed above temporarily remove hair from your body. You have to regularly undergo these procedures to maintain a hair-free skin.
However, the permanent hair removal procedures we’re going to discuss aren’t a sure thing either. In most cases, the hair removal will be lasting but there may be cases that it won’t be that effective.
The effect varies depending on the physiology of the customer. Some people have strong hormones that allow them to grow back the hair they’ve lost through permanent hair removal procedures.
We’ll be discussing here the two most common hair removal procedures tagged as ‘permanent’. They are the Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) and the Laser Hair Removal methods.
Laser hair removal and IPL
Both methods use light technology to reduce hair growth. Remember the word is reduce and not prevent hair growth. They’re tagged as ‘permanent’, though, because they have a longer lasting effect compared to shaving and waxing.
Before you undergo any of these procedures, you have to shave your skin first. Ironic isn’t it? You have to shave before you undergo another hair removal procedure.
These treatments are not a one-time procedure. You have to revisit your doctor for a number of weeks before you achieve the final result. Because of this, it’s no surprise that these treatments cost at least $200. If you want to try doing it by yourself, there are IPL products available for home use although the results may be far from what professional salons can provide.
Permanent hair removal methods are not totally pain-free. Some reported a sunburn-like sensation after undergoing permanent hair removal procedures, This especially happens to people with really sensitive skin.
As discussed, the effects of these procedures vary from person to person. The skin type, as well as your skin color and hair type, can affect the outcome of the procedure.
For home treatment using IPL technology, you can look for this device online: Braun Gillette Venus Silk-Expert. It’s very effective and easy to use.
The DIY procedures that temporarily remove body hair are much more affordable but need continuous maintenance to keep your skin smooth. On the other hand, the permanent ones are a little bit more expensive but have a longer lasting effect. However, the hair will still grow back because these procedures don’t destroy the roots of the hair. The only method that will surely remove your hair is electrolysis. This procedure disrupts the follicles to prevent hair from growing back.
Body hair removal really depends on your decision whether you want to do it or not. It’s not really necessary to become a better performer on the dance pole but it surely has its own benefits.